Contact Lens Nightmare: Showering with Them Can Permanently Damage Your Eye

Swimming, showering, or even lounging in a hot tub with your contacts in could be a recipe for disaster, as influencer Rachel Prochnow recently discovered.

As covered by MSN A photo she shared on social media showed the devastating effects of an acanthamoeba infection, a sight that serves as a cautionary tale for all contact lens wearers.

Acanthamoeba is a rare parasite found in water and soil. While uncommon, it can be incredibly dangerous for the eyes, causing sight-threatening infections.

These infections are particularly problematic for contact lens wearers, as the lenses themselves can harbor harmful bacteria and parasites like acanthamoeba.

To minimize your risk, take out your contacts before swimming, showering, or soaking in a hot tub. It’s also crucial to ditch the tap water when rinsing your contact lens case, opting for a sterile solution instead.

Related Articles:

If you ever experience any eye pain, redness, or vision changes, don’t hesitate to see your eye doctor right away.

Early diagnosis and treatment are key, but even with prompt action, the process can be lengthy – taking up to a year – and permanent vision damage remains a possibility. So next time you hit the pool or shower, play it safe and ditch the contacts!

Leave a Comment